Five Minute Friday: Enough


This week's prompt gave me the opportunity to return to a poem I've  been re working for the last few years. The subject is still relevant, the poem is getting closer...




Enough: defined as “adequate for the want or need, sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire; from Sanskrit:  “he reaches”.

In school it never worked to define a word with a synonym;
Why should Webster get away with it?

Sufficient: the same nebulous shape-shifter as
Enough.
Both are relative concepts.

“Enough to drink”,
“Enough pressure”,
“Enough money”,
“Enough children”.

“Enough is when I am comfortable”, 
Enough is when I feel safe”.

Enough  is a personal boundary,
Malleable, permeable 
Subject to change based on arbitrary 
Environmental, social or temporal constructs.

Enough: the line dividing satiety and desire.
It may be clearly demarcated or 
Hidden like an underground gas line
(call before digging).

Enough: a tightrope
A call for balance, focus and moderation.

Not too much (wouldn’t want to over-indulge), but just
Enough (enjoy a taste).

Enough: indicative of constant striving, unattainable standards. Once 
Enough money has been amassed 
It is spent and the cycle of acquiring
Enough recommences; there can never be
Enough. 

Enough is the yellow brick road to the Emrald City of Happiness 
Or is it the reverse

Moments, memories, snippets of time...
Happiness is the road to 
Enough.

In this present moment
Enough... in this breath, if only this breath.
What I have, what I am is
Enough
in this breath...
and …
I suppose…
This breath
..inhale…
It will do for the next breath too.

Pushing ink across the lines on this page I am
good enough,
pretty enough,
funny enough,
smart enough,
organized enough,
healthy enough,
rested enough,
intentional en-- “breathe through mental nay saying”,
-ough,
kind enough,
generous enough to ...
inhale again,
believing for just this instant it is all  true.

This is the work, the path,  
To string these moments together.
Step by step
Make them touch 
black holes threaten to suck
the life out of the spaces in between.

Lately the burden feels intolerable.
Faith, ritual and routine 
A bridge through the darkness 
Until the next moment of 
Enough.
But they are ominously creaking with 
Every step
The boards rotted  from my own neglect.
I lay down my load and crawl.

God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is,
and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall 
He, not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?” 

With a breath of faith, presence and clarity
 
Come balance 
Enough and happy  tag team me with the 
Blessed assurance mercy will prevail
Enough for now...and for...inhale
Now
...Exhale...
And….
Now.

Fifteen minutes from now 
I may need reminding, but now I am
Enough,
As is,
For this very moment.
Solid with certainly for my next breath:
My chair will support me
My hand will keep writing
My eyes will keep reading
The sun will be shining.

I am ok and it is
Enough.
Filled with gratitude;
Not in relation to another person or group
But because I am
Enough
In this time and place
For me.

Unbenounced and unannounced 
I am stringing together 
Breath by breath,
Pearls of gratitude,
"Enoughness",
Creating happiness one strand at a time.

Comments

  1. You say things here I say much less eloquently and even some things I didn't even realize I felt. Thank you! (your 5 Minute Friday "neighbor")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I am so very blessed by your kind words! I'm still figuring out the blogging bit so I apologize in only now responding to your lovely heartwarming comment. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This is terrific...and I'm poleaxed by the thought that 'enough is a personal boundary'; I'd never thought of it that way (except in terms of "I've had just about enough from you!"...yes, I used to teach, how did you know).

    But it's a boundary in my heart...how much will I have to do TO and FOR myself? Profound questions.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/04/your-dying-spouse-294-famous-last-words.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, Thanks for your thoughtful comment. Indeed you got it; the same word, "never enough" and "I've had enough" can almost feel like opposites. In both uses there is a demarcation of an end point or an arrival. In the first there is a finish line far off in the distance, we hope to cross one day (if we could just get our stuff together and be sanctified already). The second use is a "line in the sand" a self- selected stop sign of sorts. The way I see it, when we can remain in gratitude, trusting in the presence and working of Christ, we see the first usage of "enough" is really just as close as the second. For me it really is a moment by moment shift.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts