Day 3: Wardrobe, the Lion and the Witch too

The first time I heard the word
It was in literature
CS Lewis of course.
A porthole
A passageway
An escape

Like a closet but
Not built-in
That's how mom explained it
Stand alone
Magic

A "christian" author in a
Public school classroom
It felt subversive
Didn't they know who Aslan represents?
The 5th graders might eviscerate him.

The distinction
The boxes
Either -or
Black or white
Loyalties to the White Witch
or the Lion
One or the other

The thing is
On the other side

Through the moth balls
Snow falls
It's complicated

We are all lost
We are all seeking
Goodness
Mercy and
Grace.

Suitcases packed
Tickets propped on the keys of the word processor
Before leaving my musty bedroom (tiny no closet)
Before my first flight
NYC (might as well  have been Narnia)
Reaching into the wardrobe past The Letterman's jacket and prom dress
I pressed my hand to the back wall
Closed my eyes and pushed into adulthood and the unknown.

Comments

Popular Posts