Day 1 From Alicante to Bilbao June 15-16 11.49 miles walked

The Quartier Hostel Bilbao
Very cozy
The Guggenheim 
When the museum opened in the late '90, I made a half hearted promise to visit, you just never know which dreams will come true.
Bubble blower in the park at the museum

This sculpture provided me with an image of Christ going before me on the journey.

I often found the "smaller" churches to be more impressive than the cathedrals
The photo doesn't begin to capture the light radiating from this painting
The river  "Ria Del Nervion o de Bilbao runs through the center of the city making it replete with beautiful bridges and picturesque reflections.
I was especially happy to see Our Lady of Guadalupe a reminder of all my student's families from Mexico, who unbeknownst to them had been helping improve my language skills. 
The cathedral in Bilbao where I received my first stamp on my credential, is also dedicated to St. James (identified by the scallop shell on his hat) as is the final cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.  
From inside the Cathedral De Santiago Bilbao. A sweet sister gave me a blessing and my first stamp, I was officially on my way.

Click here for some lovely music at the museum 





A Story I Didn't Tell You
After midnight
After the searching for phone numbers and unanswered calls
After pressing 2 for English and 1 for lost and found again and again
After the pleading emails to the airport and the airlines were sent
After the frantic retracing of steps
After the prayers and petitioning of saints and distant friends
After the shower in the swampy shared bathroom
After the soggy TP and wet underwear
(Like a heard of elephants were here, I heard my grandma say )
After the cups of tepid tea
After the front desk employee smoked his last cigarette offering up final calls for faith
The roommates returned from the bars college guys,
(One of whom told me I was the same age as his mom)
Respectful, sympathetic to my plight
Maybe even optimistic. 
After we made introductions
After we said our goodnights and turned out the lights
My phone rang.

From puffy cloud-white cocoons of standard issue comforters
They listened hopefully as 
English and Spanish vied for comprehension
On both ends of the conversation
"Your purse"
"The taxi"
"Morning downstairs"
"Tranquillo"
"Its alright"'
"Sleep"
"Good night"
"Thank you very very much"
I want to jump up and hug  these guys the
French, American, Australian, German
But
The relief that floods my body is heavy 
The bunkbed ladder precarious.

I close my eyes 
The self criticism threatening
But instead I'm lulled to sleep listening to 
the Voice of Peace.
In half heard 
possibly imagined wisps
Then growing stronger
"You are safe
You are held
You are connected
Helper
You will have help
You do not travel alone
Again and again when you come to the end of yourself
Crashing
Wave-like leaving a last remnant 
of foam clinging to the sand
This dramatic display necessary to prove to you I am here
The journey is long, the Way is hard 
You forget and disregard explain away so quickly
Remember me when your faith falters 
When you fall you
Can't deny 
My providence
Can't deny
My protection
Can't deny
My provision.


Epilogue

In the morning the guys were snoring loudly when I pulled my pack from its locker, and made my way downstairs. The taxi driver (with whom, though very tired I'd had a challenging discussion about the camino and the American election, that connection made me just memorable enough) after some calling around had contacted the hotel and brought my purse with all its contents safe and sound and placed it behind the front desk (using the door code he had been given over the phone by the on-call employee). With gratitude, I explored the city before taking a bus to the next town where I would start the walking portion of my Camino. 

Comments

Popular Posts