Day 2 June 17 Castro Urdalies to Liendo 16.22 miles walked

Exploring Castro Urdales 
Lots of sheep fighting over a sliver of  shade
Night life in Castro Urdiales







Alone
There are no pilgrims
The cats sunning themselves
 In front of the castle
where the arrows split offer
unintelligible advice

Bonito: “Are you going to Bilbao?”
“No”
“Come with me I am walking to meet a friend at the cafe 
I will show you”
Spanish Italian world traveler retired here daily walking
The first hour passes quickly
Big hug cheeks kissed

Alone 
There are no pilgrims
Passing the albergue 
Overflow tents in the yard
Everyone vacated hours ago

At the top of the first slope
Hiacinto 
Shepherd leaving his flock
Insists “take my staff”
“I have poles” (how do you say “polls”) 
Gesturing to my pack 
Heavy sturdy implement 
This is meant to be today’s walking stick.

Alone 
Where are the pilgrims?
“Peregrina loca” the old ladies returning from the beach 
respond to my greeting
They have no idea!
Highway turns to trail to road to trail

Alone 
Where are the pilgrims?
Along the cliffs below a single speck
A fishing boat
The Billy Joel lyric starts to play
A song unremembered 
“Goodnight my Angel” …
“Like a boat out on the ocean I’m rocking you to sleep the waters dark and deep
Inside this sacred heart I know you’ll always be a part of me”
It will take time and repetition before the message is revealed 

Alone
Where are the pilgrims?
Another speck 
Where the cliffs touch the sea
It  is a big horned sheep grazing 
Navigating unaccompanied
Through a far more treacherous space

Alone
Donde están los peregrinos?
The signs the graffiti
This isolation is the mirage
Tortilla in the village square
“A large group just left”
It is a siesta-ghost town
Unseen, is it them or is it me?

Highway cyclist 
Tourist traffic
Ocean to the right
Mountains to the left
Check the maps the GPS
The road is never-ending

At the roadside bar
Luke from Bareclona
Susie from San Fransisco
On the highway the frazzled New Yorker
 They are stopping here

I have energy its early afternoon 
The guide book even describes a shortcut
Dangerous tempting 
A lesson yet to be learned
There are no shortcuts
Don’t be fooled

The narrow shoulders and asphalt back of steep highway
Trucks and tour busses 
The swoosh of speed as they sped past
Hour upon hour 
Up and up and up
Counting steps 
The stick is heavy but I’m attached

The sun now in head on assault 
Navigating rural routes through neighborhoods
Two kilometers a marathon
The vine covered plaza the steeple of the church

Mari-lyn
Frieda
The Germans
Deanna from Poland
David the Yogi
The hot head posse of 
noisy middle aged Italian cyclist

































Comments

Popular Posts