Day 5 June 20 Gümes to Santander 14.23 miles walked

Sunrise over Güemes

       Click on the photos to enlarge, pardon the spacing, I'm still learning how to make a table in html

 
 

I only wish I could have stayed another night, it felt like summer camp for pilgrims.
Pilgrims at breakfast

Mural mapping the Northern Route

The chapel

Abuelo Pueto A.k.a Padre Ernesto at over 80 he still keeps this magical place running.

The landdrover he used to travel around Spain
fighting for the rights of miners and other marginalized groups
An albergue with a huge library, my kind of place!!
Pilgrims from all over the world have sent mementos from their countries as well as souvenirs from Abuelo's travels in Europe and South America.
Feeling immensely blessed

Skirting the edge of a continent

Crystal clear water but no time to swim

New friends Karla and Chris
On the ferry to Santander



The requirement to risk loosing our boots should have been a sign...


The Church of the Annunciation facing the cathedral dwarfed by the city that grew up around it.


Cathedral in Santander




Making Peace With the Pace


This is a poem about relationships
(aren't they all)
This is a poem about letting people come and go
Ebb and flow
This is a poem about the elusive quest for the Holy Grail of non-attachment
(Now doesn't that sound self-actualized and Zen)
This is a poem about making friends with myself
(You know love your neighbor as yourself, first you have to have something to give)

“Why don't you be you and I'll be me”*
So simple
But
By now we all know
Simple is a lie 
“The hardest to learn was least complicated”**

I clench my fists involuntarily 
Tightly clinging to my own 
Perspective, expectations and entitlement
Only aware of this tendency 
When my fingers fatigue 
Eventually I lose my grip

The evidence all points to the contrary
I have gone the distance 
I have walked alone 
I have been lost and I got myself found 
Yet I’m filled with bitter resentment 
When you won't wait another minute 
For me to tie my boots

Likely this has nothing to do with me 
There are 1000 reasons 
You might need a little space
This is only the deceptively innocuous 
Craggy peak of ice visible above the ocean
Beneath the surface 
I am frustrated with my body 
Frustrated I can't keep up 
Left alone I am forced to listen as lifetime of examples 
Vie for attention in a disordered cue of thoughts 
Demanding to make their cases
Soon you are no more then a distant spec
On the horizon

The prosecution rests 
The defendant takes a plea bargain
Too overwhelmed to present the opposing arguments
The sentence self denial 
The sentence double down 
The sentence is a threat loosely veiled
Get it together!! Buck up!! 
Or else…

In retrospect it is oh so clear
But in the moment
The routine so familiar 
So second nature
Ignore Deny and when all else fails Ingratiate
Self-denial creates mental politics
My needs on the loosing ticket
They don’t even bother to campaign
Conventional wisdom claims
Awareness is the first step

New friends come
Heaven sent Camino Angels they’re called 
They help me adjust my pack
“Try walking without the poles”
The coastline magnificent 
The conversation enthralling 
I can't imagine how I was ever so upset 
The pendulum swinging back 
Bitterness to blessed

There is a food truck
Parked in the lot just before the beach
You are there just wrapping up 
Both of you
And now we are five 
The more the merrier don’t you think
I’ve caught up now
An Aquarius (like gatorade) to go will do
No need to change my shoes

i’m happy to join in
majority opinion is just great
sure 
accommodate 
fun friendly flexible
easy breezy thats me
these are the ways we hot-wire connection***
these are the ways to avoid the prosecutor in the silence 
these are the ways to get your needs met

Within 15 minutes it is clear to see 
Group continuity is a priority for no-one else but me 
“See you at the ferry” you two wave 
As you shift into high gear
I continue stuck in first 
Boots still on 
Tires spinning in the sand

New friends stay
They don’t seem bothered
Yet I keep apologizing
The sun relentless
Déjà vu from yesterday's heat-induced meltdown 
But I thought I'd come so far
It seems some lessons 
Take longer to generalize 

In the shade of two large boulders 
The floodgates open
Crying sobbing shaking
Sand is everywhere
This was about something bigger
Anger tinged grief for every time 
I perceive my body let me down
She never danced or did gymnastics 
PE was catastrophic the freckle the buck teeth the acne
The hormones the weight gain the infertility
(The irony of berating the very feet that had just walk two 
Marathons in the span of the past few days 
Absolutely inconsequential)

“Just let it go”
“You need to eat” 
I bite into an apple
“I’m hardly hungry”
“You need to drink”
There is only the last warm dregs of my soda
“Take mine”
“I should have stopped”
“I should have eaten”
“I’m sorry” again and again
(Please tell me I haven’t ruined your day)

It seems so simple
To keep a body hydrated and fed
But I’ve been angry 
and hence neglectful
“We would have waited”, she said
“I understand, my first Camino I cried too 
Just about everyday”.


“Come on let it go just let it be why don’t you be you and I’ll be me”
I have to like me before I can be me
I have to know me before I can be me
Every one has to walk there own camino
I can’t be you and you can’t be me

We stand 
I brush it all off like the sand
Just like that
“speak the word only”
I am lighter
I am grateful 
I am reconciled
“and my soul shall be healed”


New friends have reservations 
before we think to exchange information 
they are headed for their hotel
Old friends want to take a rest day
I agree 
A day to processes 
Is exactly what I need
Leaving the ferry a woman meets us 
Offering bunks for three 
Without a laundry fee 
We can’t believe our luck 
No searching needed
(She didn’t mention its a four floor walk up and 
her idiosyncratic rules such as keeping boots 
precariously perched on the outside windowsill) 

It is Sunday, while they go explore 
I want to find a mass
In an ancient church 
Shadowed by the great cathedral 
Cool and dark and silent
Unintelligible prayers wash over 
Cleansing restoring seeping into every pore

My phone is dead 
Our plan was loose
It is later than I intended
With curiosity I wonder how it will
come together
How will I meet my friends

I am not searching 
I release all expectation 
Certain one way or another 
I will 
Feed myself
And in a moment they appear two now tuned to three
Single file 
Crossing the cathedral steps 
Bearing olives salami 
bread and wine

At the beach-side park  
we spread our late-night feast
An impromptu party
Simple
Satisfying 
Now

Ready for a picnic dinner with Fabian Mari-lyn and Isabel

(click links to listen)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts